5 Must-Have Features in Cleanroom Apparels
by John Gary
If you have been working in a lab or any other type of medicinal research area, then you’ve likely been thinking about the clothing that you need in order to do your work. There are so many different ways for you to achieve your goals and take care of things that it may be hard to find the “must haves” when it comes to cleanroom apparels.
- No Slip, Closed Shoes.One of the things that you have to worry about when you’re in the cleanroom is that you stay on your feet. If your shoes are slippery, then you could fall and cause injury or problems. You also want the toes closed so that you can protect your feet.
- No Dyes or other chemicals that can cause issues. You are going to be working with a number of different chemicals, so you want to make sure that your cleanroom apparel isn’t using chemicals that are going to react or possibly leak into the materials that you’re using on a regular basis. Most cleanroom apparel that you will run into is white in color because of this requirement.
- Little to no static can happen to the apparels. Static can be an incredibly scary and dangerous thing in some cleanroom environments, so you want to make sure that you are wearing clothing that doesn’t have any static with it. There are only a few materials that are anti-static and that is what you will find in most cleanroom apparels that are out there on the market today. Look around to find what ones are best for your particular needs and purposes.
- Sterilized in an appropriate manner. There are a lot of different ways to sterilize cleanroom clothing, but the main way is with gamma sterilization. Basically, these pieces of clothing are thrown into these sterilization chambers in order to make them sterile, and then they are kept in a similar environment until you use them. The sterilization will keep you and the things that you’re working with safe and pure while you’re taking care of them.
- Loose fitting, but not too loose. It needs to be loose on you as to reduce any chance of static or other related issues, but you need to make sure that it’s not too loose, because otherwise you could end up hurting yourself and/or falling. You need to find the balance between the two so that you can get the best results while you’re working in your cleanroom.
Even though companies like ESD apparel will have lists of the requirements that you will need, it’s good for you to have an idea as to exactly what you’re looking for. You will also want to make sure and ask your company what they expect from you and what you should be wearing as well. Do your research to find the best clothing that you can when it comes to figuring out the cleanroom apparel that you need.