Exercise and Fitness
What are the Benefits of Sukhasana and How to Do It?
by C. Bayer
Busy lifestyle!! It’s hard to spare time to look after your health. More chances that your roster is fully packed with meetings, appointments, presentation and so much other stuff so it’s difficult to stay enthusiastic like a Robot.
Presently, depression and anxiety are common causes to affect everyone and almost every individual struggles to get rid of these emotions. They try to accept unnatural ways to overcome stress and irritation. Let’s seek natural yoga called Sukhasana to imbibe positive vibes.
Let’s move forward in this article but first, understand what is Sukhasana.
Sukhasana is also known as an ‘easy pose’. It is the base of all other yoga asanas. The name is derived from the Sanskrit, sukha depicts ‘pleasure’ or ‘comfort’ whereas asana means ‘pose’ and when it combines, reflect ‘comfortable pose’. It is the best pose for meditation purpose both for beginners as well as yoga followers.
Before performing any asana, make sure you have adequate knowledge of it.
How and when to do Sukhasana?
As it is practice for mediation, so better to practice this in the morning. It alerts the mind as well as body. Who says it is mandatory to do this asana an empty stomach? This is not a compulsion but if you are following it with other yoga asanas, better to have a meal approximately four to six hours before performing this.
The first challenge comes to your path is how to make a pose. As an experienced person can do it effortlessly what about a beginner?
- Sit relaxed and stretched your feet in front of you.
- Fold your legs in such a way that each foot comes under the knee and the back should be straight and chest must be opened.
- Look at your legs to make sure it forms two triangles.
- Sit comfortably and ensure space between pelvis and feet.
- Balance your weight on sitting bones to adjust shoulder directly over your hips and align your head on the top of your spine.
- Stay in this posture as long as you can.
Despite its name, it doesn’t always make you feel easy. Suppose you think to perform it by sitting on a chair, it causes back pain, weakens abdominal and back muscles. But performing it on the floor makes you comfortable to sit for more than 30 minutes.
What are the different ways to perform Sukhasana?
Type1: Sukhasana, stretched arms overhead
- Fold two blankets appropriately and sit over it by overlapping your legs in front of you
- Cross your right shin in front of other
- Keep knees closer until feet are directly underneath them
- Intertwine your fingers and stretch your arms overhead
Sit relax on sitting bones. Make back straight. Extend both arms in front of you and interlace fingers, further extend your arms overhead and stretch calmly. Do it for a couple of minutes and you will feel stretching over your shoulder, wrist, and elbow.
Slowly release the pose and repeat it again for another minute.
Type 2: Sukhasana, hands down on blocks
- Sit on two folded blankets and extend your legs in front of you
- Cross your legs and keep knees closer till your feet are directly under them
- Inclined towards your legs
- Place a block at a minor distance and stretch your arms forward and place your hands on a block
Sit on folded blankets, walks your hand forward and palm touches the block. Make the posture in such a way that nose touches the floor but arms stay above the floor. Move your spine towards the chest and bring your trunk parallel to the floor.
Breathe to keep your mind calm and after sometime release the posture and repeat it one more time or a few more minutes.
Type 3: Sukhasana, sit straight
- Sit on 2 folded blankets and relax your legs in front of you
- Fold your legs, cross right shin in front of the left shin
- Adjust the space by placing feet under your knees
- Slightly slide the flesh of buttocks outward so you can sit over sitting bones
- Press your palms in front of the chest
Broad your collarbones and press your palms in front of your chest. Sit straight, don’t inclined towards your chest. This action of chest, shoulders, and arm directs the spine towards the body. Keep the neck long and relax.
Take a deep breath in and out. Release when you think your body cannot afford more repetitions.
Last but not the least benefits of Sukhasana
Workload and low luxury lifestyle make you fall in stress and hence your body gets affected by some serious problems. Relax!! By spending minimum time on Sukhasana, you will get a chance to make your entire body healthy from in to out.
- Working hours make your stressed-out and Sukhasana keeps your mind and physical body calm & peaceful.
- Sukhasana works for the brain too because going through complex calculations, documentation and interviews make you incapable to think accurately.
- It broads your collarbones and shoulders
- Backbone becomes stronger and steadier
- Spine stays fit and fine for a long duration
- Stretches knees and ankles
- Body postures improved
- Feel free from irritation and tension
- Lengthen back muscles
- Unlock the hips
Sit 5 to 10 minutes daily in easy pose and you will realize a change in your internal and external body. A kind of magic will happen to your body.
With meditation, you are capable to push out all negative thoughts and get a stable state to relax your spirit. It is a great way to improve your physical as well as mental health. And the best part is, with Sukhasana you need not to struggle with heavy gym tools. Natural yoga is sufficient to make you fit and active.
Make Sukhasana an important part of your daily schedule.
Good Luck! Stay healthy!
About the Author
C. Bayer is a Physiological expert and he’s working in this profession for last 9 years. He’s a very affable person and has a practical solution to health complexities.
One thought on “What are the Benefits of Sukhasana and How to Do It?”
Comments are closed.