Call for Presentations & Workshops – Conference – Saratoga, WY June 13-20, 2011
I have recently submitted what I hope will be Volume 1 of a 5-part series on rural mental health and crises, trauma, disasters, etc. The projected publication date by the publisher is April.
I am seeking input, ideas, and other info as well as resources (e.g., funds, etc) to do the conference this year combined with a number of workshops all for continuing education. Some topic areas for presentations and workshops include (all tentative at present):
- Workshop on aging and elderly in rural areas – proposed by John Jones from San Angelo, TX (San Angelo State University, former Indian Health Services Psychologist in Montana and former presenter in at least 2 of our annual conferences);
- Rural areas and our returning National Guard members – with Alan Hensley (Ritired US Navy Commander and former presenter twice ate our Annual National Conference;
- Workshop on chaplains and on a new program for civilian victims (HEART) that Bob Rudichar is heading up – By Bob Rudichar from Gillette (Bob is a member of our Board, he developed and spearheaded the development, organization and leadership of the Campbell County CISM Team based at Campbell County Memorial Hospital in Gillette;
- Workshop on Compassion Fatigue hopefully with Kathy Reagen Figley from Green Cross in FL or Charles Figley, PhD;
- Updates and training workshops on CISM for new folks – that and other topics on CISM and Disaster Mental Health by John Durkin, Ph D from London, University of Nottingham and he has been a presenter a number of times for our Conferences in Estes Park and in Casper;
- A complete update that will include presentations about the current status of disaster mental health, critical incident stress management, trauma treatment (including PTSD, TBI, etc), psychological first aid and triage in crises and disasters – these and related topics – ALL TO LOOK AT WHERE DISASTER MENTAL HEALTH IS TODAY, WHERE IT HAS COME FROM 10-20 YEARS LATER, AND WHERE DO WE NEED TO GO IN THE FUTURE – THE NEXT TEN YEARS.
In order to do such a combination of things and to bring in the top and best folks, we need resources: we need funding to pay the expenses – grants and in-kind contributions will help. There will be fees for some of the workshop presenters and keynoters. I am looking at a five day period that will be broken up into a number of one and 2-day workshops with 2-3 days of presentations like we have included in past conferences. We need help (e.g., in-kind contributions and co-sponsporship). DATES: JUNE 13-20, 2011.
Different fees for different attendance. For example, conference attendees will pay one fee (one-day, two day, full, etc.), Workshops will have their own fees, etc. If we have a special lunch (e.g., with a presenter) or a special dinner, these will have their own fees. If we can get some outside sponsors and/or grant help, we can help keep all fees low. Having it in June, the weather should be also conducive to a possible outdoor activity.
Transportation from out of state and other areas can be done by air to Cheyenne or Laramie and/or even rental cars. There is an Enterprise office in Laramie and they are our long-time “Transportation Partner”. CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS AND/OR WORKSHOPS: Please send Title(s), Abstract(s), Objectives (for workshops), BIO, and other relevant information. Presentation articles will be published in the Proceedings Book following the Conference as in the past. Workshops can be one or two days. Conference Presentations can be up to 2 hours. Powerpoint and video will be available. DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS: FEBRUARY 28, 2011 (Please contact if more time is needed or if any questions – 307-399-4818 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ) All presentations and workshops will be offered for Continuing Education Credit. They have a really wonderful facility in Saratoga. Take a look at the following links and tell me what you think. Dates are set as of today – June 13-20.
Platte Valley Community Center – http://www.pvcenter.org/
Saratoga Chamber of Commerce – http://www.saratogachamber.info/
Town of Saratoga Web Site – http://www.saratoga.govoffice2.com/
Saratoga Schools – http://www.crb2.k12.wy.us/
Live weather and Saratoga & Encampment web cams – http://www.dayweather.com/keystone/ktgawx.htm
Interactive weather map plus more live area webcams and “Critter Sightings”
If you would like to present a workshop and/or presentation(s) this year, let me know ASAP what you would prefer. You can present workshop(s) and presentation(s). Send me titles, abstracts, learning objectives (for workshop), bio, etc. Workshops can be one or two days. Conference Presentations should not exceed 2 hours. We will provide CEUs for all so people can use for re-licensure, etc.
Take a good look at the links I have sent and send any suggestions, ideas, etc. Please circulate info on the conference, etc. If you know any colleagues who would also be interested in presenting, put them in touch. They can respond to the Call For Papers/Workshops with same info outlined above. Please let me know of any questions/concerns.
Look forward to your submissions and to seeing you in Saratoga. This promises to be a great conference and a superb location. Will send further details as they develop. Please circulate the information, CALL, and encourage others to submit proposals.
— George George W. Doherty, President
Rocky Mountain Region
Disaster Mental Health Institute
Laramie, WY 82073-0786
Rocky Mountain Region Disaster Mental Health Newsletter Online: http://www.rmrinstitute.org
Help Us With Our Fund Raiser – http://www.rmrinstitute.org/donations.html
BOOK published by Rocky Mountain Disaster Mental Health Institute Press: “Crisis Intervention Training for Disaster Workers: An Introduction” http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1932690425
ONLINE COURSE FOR Continuing Education Credit: “Crisis Intervention Training for Disaster Responders” http://www.psychceu.com/CISM/cism_index.asp
9th Disaster Mental Health Conference: WY – June 13-20, 2011