Top 10 Biomedical Treatments for Autism
by John Gary
When it comes to autism spectrum disorder, known as ASD, and ADHD, biomedical treatment has taken on a very functional approach. Any good treatment program for children with autism and ADHD will also include biomedical treatments. ASD includes a variety of conditions from classical autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, regressive autism, and PPD. While it’s true that each of these conditions present themselves differently, they all do fall under the umbrella of ASD and this is how they are referred to. As you read more about biomedical treatments as ASD, you must keep in mind that the physiology and chemistry of these developmental issues are very similar.
When it comes to functional, traditional medicine, the individual is treated by taking a look at the underlying impairments within each individual’s system. On the other hand, biomedical treatment thoroughly takes a look at the individual’s medical history, their family history, lab tests, and a review of their systems.
Following are a few of the benefits of biomedical treatment for ASD:
- Improvement in language development: expressive, receptive, and spontaneous.
- Increase in appropriate language use as well as complexity and vocabulary.
- Increase in interaction, social awareness, and proper play.
- Increase in learning, understanding, and cognition.
- Increase in responsiveness and eye contact.
- Decrease in tics, aggression, and self-injurious behaviors and increase in normalized behaviors/interactions.
- Increase in understanding/feeling of affection/emotions and increase in tolerance to being touched/touching.
Biomedical treatment is effective for addressing physical complications such as the following:
- Chronic constipation and/or diarrhea
- Disturbances in sleep
- Rashes and eczema
- Self-injurious behaviors
- Self-stimulating behaviors
- Dysregulation of the immune system
- Frequent illnesses
However, using biomedical treatment for conditions such as ADHD, PDD, and autism is based upon the most recent, ground-breaking research. This new research is now changing the way that delays in development are looked at by the medical community. More and more, the evidence is pointing to the fact that autism spectrum disorder, as well as many other developmental disorders, is actually biological in nature.
There is a very long held belief that ASD is a mental health issue and this belief is being challenge based upon recent physical findings such as dysregulation of the immune system, inflammation, dysbiosis- imbalance of microbes in the gut, alteration in biochemistry of neurotransmitters, overload of heavy metal and other toxins, deficiencies in specific key nutrients, and dysfunction of enzymes. By regulating these things with biomedical treatment, researchers believe that it’s possible to understand and control ASD.
While at this time, biomedical treatment is not a mainstream treatment for the condition of autism spectrum disorder and other issues, there truly are thousands of children who have benefited from this treatment. However, biomedical treatment is just like every other treatment: not every child will be helped by it, but the potential to help most children with ASD and other developmental issues is definitely there.
Here are a few of the common biomedical treatments:
- Follow a gluten-free, soy-free, casein-free diet
- Remove all other potential food allergens
- Heal the gut by using prebiotics/probiotics, antifungals, digestive enzymes, and antivirals
- Use vitamin/mineral supplements to increase levels of necessary nutrients such as B6, fish oils/fatty acids, melatonin, natural detoxifiers, and more
- Remove toxins and heavy metals from the body
- Take some time to figure out what is causing the allergies/inflammation and work on getting rid of them
- Take some time to investigate Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections, known as PANDAS. This is a term used to describe an autoimmune condition affecting children with ASD that also have tics, OCD, and other conditions